The Holy Spirit Uncovered


Sometimes we have to give up what we think we NEED to the Lord and realize he gives us what we need.  He doesn't give us what we want or what we think we need.  He gives us what we really need, and sometimes not much more than that.  Sometimes with time and perspective we realize he gave us more than we originally thought.  We realize he gave us what we truly needed at the time and didn't even know we needed.   What he gives is enough to get by.  He also gives us what he knows we can handle.  He is a good Father.  Why would he give us what he knows we can't handle?  He sees and knows everything.  He knows what would happen if he gave you everything you want.  It could be the worst thing for you.

Matthew 6:31-33

“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Luke 11:13
If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

Jesus said this because he knew that the best gift that our heavenly Father could possibly give us is the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit is a distinct part of the Trinity of God the Father, Jesus Christ the Son, and the Holy Spirit that lives in us. The Holy Spirit is the one I would like to discuss today. I have discussed God the Father and Jesus in other articles, but now I would like to focus on the Holy Spirit.

First I would like to discuss the spiritual gift of speaking in tongues which is done through the Holy Spirit.  When I first originally I had not personally experienced speaking in tongues.  As an update to this I have now been speaking in tongues for the last year and a half.  I prayed for a solid week for the baptism of the Spirit and received it from my pastor and the laying on of hands.  He also anointed my head with oil.  I also had not had the experience of being slain in the spirit until I would say October of 2013.  When I was slain in the Spirit no one had to lay hands on me to fall.  One Sunday after a youth encounter that took place in my church we had the presence of The Holy Spirit so manifest in the sanctuary it felt so heavy and powerful it was hard to stay standing because of the glory.  It felt hard to hold your body up and stay standing.  

They Holy Spirit is a calm presence that I definitely feel.   It feels like a slight chill that comes over me.  There's a subtle but discernible difference between the feeling of grieving the Spirit.  The only way I can describe the difference it's like a bad chill, it makes me feel bad.  I'm not sure if others experience this.  Sometimes I have felt like he was moving stuff around inside of me.  When I told my mom this she goes: "Moving stuff around?  Like moving your organs around?".  I said, "No Mom...moving my deep seated emotional issues around, rearranging stuff in me." 


Tongues is a sign from God.  It is the evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit, first received by the early church in the book of Acts.

The people who witnessed the early church speaking in tongues at that time said:


Acts 2:10-12

"...visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.” So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “Whatever could this mean?”


We will be able to do great works with the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit is like inner dynamite. It's a very powerful source of energy from God that works in us.  The works of faith that the Apostles performed in the early church were accomplished with the same Holy Spirit that's available to us today.  The works we perform can only grow in magnitude with the faith we have in God and belief of the POWER of the Holy Spirit in us.


Jesus said:

John 14:12-13

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son."







Comments

Steve Finnell said…
you are invited to follow my blog

Popular Posts