Stubborn Faith



     I have learned the secret of how to persevere in the face of evil: stubborn faith. We need strong, stubborn faith that persistently holds on to God, holds Him to His promises, and will not let go.

1 Timothy 6:12

"Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses."

     In the parable of the widow and the judge, the widow got what she wanted because of persistence. We can't let anything stop us. When we are doing what is right or asking for something we know is right, we must persevere until we get it.

Luke 18:1-8

The Parable of the Persistent Widow
Then He (Jesus) spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart,  saying: “There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, ‘Get justice for me from my adversary.’ And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, ‘Though I do not fear God nor regard man, yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.’”

Then the Lord said, “Hear what the unjust judge said.  And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them? I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?”


     You may have heard the quote: "God helps those who help themselves", but I really believe it is more like: "We do our best, and God does the rest." When I used to be a cheerleader I learned something from my coach I'll never forget. I was the alternate cheerleader to go up in the pyramid and be lifted up off the ground by the other cheerleaders. Many times the girls would have trouble getting me up to where I was supposed to be, and I fell many times. I remember my coach said to me: "Rosanne, you have to take responsibility for yourself and get yourself up there. You can't depend on the girls to lift you. Once you get yourself up there they will hold you." I never forgot that because it reminds me that I have to take responsibility for myself. In our relationship with God it's unique because He's looking for us to first take responsibility for ourselves, and then depend on Him to do the rest.

Matthew 11:12

"And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force."

     God approves of people who are bold like Jacob, strong willed and persistent. Jacob wrestled with God all night long and said, "I won't let you go until you bless me." God loves this type of audacious persistence. Maybe that's why Jacob became the rightful heir in his family even though he wasn't the first born son.

     The Apostle Paul constantly exhorted us to press on and stand firm in our faith in Philippians, Romans, and every book he wrote in the Bible.

Philippians 3:12-14

Pressing Toward the Goal
"Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Romans 5:3-4

"And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance;  and perseverance, character; and character, hope."

     I had a very difficult four month long financial crisis not very long ago. I was so confused by it. I couldn't understand how God, who I knew to be good and loving, would allow me to suffer without being able to buy food. I learned three things through this experience. The first thing I learned was stubborn faith. I didn't understand what was happening or how it could be happening. It didn't make sense. God was supposed to be my provider. I had no other provider. I was trusting Him to provide my needs and He wasn't. I didn't know what to do. Finally, I just said: "God, this doesn't look good, but I KNOW you are good and I am not letting go of you. I'm stubbornly holding onto you because there's no other hope for me. You are my only hope. I've put all my eggs in one basket. There's no other help for me. I've put all my trust in you, and I am not letting go of you no matter what you do to me. I've come too far with you to give up now. " The second thing I learned was a change of perspective. I may not have had the food I wanted to eat or the amount I wanted, but I had food to eat. Many days I only ate one meal a day. I was at the mercy of the kind people around me offering me food. I was eating only oatmeal some days, but I still had food to eat. God changed my perspective on what it means to be in need. I was not able to pay my bills on time, but I was still able to pay them. I had what I needed, but it was not what I wanted. The third thing I learned was through this experience I have been able to share this story with those around me. I really feel if I have encouraged anyone in their faith, even a little bit, then it was well worth it.

Hebrews 12:1-2

The Race of Faith
"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."


     This verse means that since so many people around us are watching us, let's be brave and persevere in the face of every trial, so we can show the power of God. We have to wield the shield of faith. We have to stand firm, stubbornly holding onto God's promises. We have to have stubborn faith in His character and what we know to be true of Him. We have to be active and not passive. We have to paddle upstream, resisting obstacles, not letting ourselves passively drift along in life. We are responsible for our spiritual training and education. We have to do our part and work hard. We have to do our best. We have to do the best we can and let the Holy Spirit do the rest.  We cannot let obstacles stand in our way. We have to make a way when there is no way. We have to fearlessly chop down obstacles and follow hard after God. We are like fearless trailblazers in a jungle persistently cutting down every obstacle that stands in our way with machetes. We wield the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God, to cut down every obstacle. We must persevere, never giving up.

Hebrews 10:23

"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful."


     God loves our boldness, audacity and radical faith. He has always loved radical faith and He always will. He loved Abraham for his radical faith, his son Isaac and Isaac's son Jacob (who I already mentioned). Jacob wrestled with God (and lost)! God loves stubborn faith. Jesus told us to keep asking, seeking and knocking and promised that we would get an anwer.  We cannot give up. We must keep asking, seeking, knocking until we get an answer. God often times wants to know how badly we want something before He gives it to us.


Matthew 7:7-8

Keep Asking, Seeking, Knocking
( Jesus said:) “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."


     I see those closest to me are often the ones to test my faith, to see just how firm I stand. God is also constantly testing our faith through people around us and experiences we go through.

     The following is a great old hymn with some of the most inspiring lyrics I have ever heard. Enjoy, and stand firm in your faith! God bless you.


"Standing on the Promises of God"

Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
Through eternal ages let His praises ring,
Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing,
Standing on the promises of God.

Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God my Savior;
Standing, standing,
I’m standing on the promises of God.

Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
Standing on the promises of God.

Standing on the promises I now can see
Perfect, present cleansing in the blood for me;
Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free,
Standing on the promises of God.

Standing on the promises of Christ the Lord,
Bound to Him eternally by love’s strong cord,
Overcoming daily with the Spirit’s sword,
Standing on the promises of God.

Standing on the promises I cannot fall,
Listening every moment to the Spirit’s call
Resting in my Savior as my all in all,
Standing on the promises of God.








Comments

Popular Posts