Can Anything Good Come From Suffering?



People often struggle with believing that God is good when there is so much pain and suffering in the world. What we do not understand is that we only have a limited view of pain and suffering. We often cannot see the great good that comes of it. While people are going through a trial they can never understand what is going on. God is eternal, and He is going for our ultimate good, not just for keeping us comfortable in this life. God is going for our ultimate good and our growth. Love is wanting the highest ultimate good for someone. Just because we cannot understand why God does something, does not necessarily give us the right to judge His actions. His ways are higher than our ways and His thoughts higher than our thoughts. We often question God, but we must remember that He is good, despite what it looks like. We have to believe He is good, and trust Him with all of our hearts. We must come to a point in our lives where we truly believe God is good, despite whatever we are going through that may appear evil to us.


Proverbs 3:5-6

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths."


Isaiah 55:8-9

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.
“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts."

In my experience, pain and suffering has resulted in some amazing things in my life, the scope of which I have yet to fully understand. I know I am a better person than I ever would have been if I did not go through it. I have suffered with depression throughout my life. At times it has been debilitating, where I could not work. There have been times when I was only a shell of myself. I have gone an entire year suffering with deep, severe depression. The only joke I could make was one about committing suicide. At the time I never imagined I would emerge from it and go on to live a stable life. I never imagined I could be where I am right now. I truly can say that as painful as it was, it was worth it for the joy that I now have. Through my depression I learned about love. The love of my sister and mother is the only thing that kept me alive. It was through an intense period of suffering that I came to God. I was not ready to give my life to God until January 2012.  The year before was the worst year of my life. My life fell apart and my worst fears materialized. I was on the ledge between life and death. God was my last choice, but He just so happened to be the best choice I ever made in my whole life. I shudder to think of what would have happened if I made the wrong choice, and where I would be now. God has been so much better to me than I ever deserved. As paradoxical as it seems, after all the suffering I have been through, I often ponder these three questions: Why has God been so good to me? What would I do without Him? Where would I be (without Him)? The good thing about living through my worst fears is I now have a type of fearlessness. The worst has already happened. God once spoke this word to me in time of deep worship: “You don’t ever have to be afraid again.” I have never forgotten it. It has been such an enormous comfort to me. I know that even if I have to suffer again in the future, I will get through it because I have God by my side. I believe suffering has shaped my life in so many areas. It is hard to name just one. Suffering has made me more humble, courageous, passionate, and better able to receive love and receive help. It has also made me more encouraging, compassionate, and loving toward others.

Psalm 34:18

"The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart,
And saves such as have a contrite spirit."

I now see that I have never been alone in my suffering. I now see the Lord has been with me every moment in my life, even when I didn't know He was there. I have always been His child, before I even knew I was His child. He has been faithful to me before I knew Him, and when I did not love Him. There He was dying for me when I did not even know Him or love Him.

Romans 5:8

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

1 John 3:16

The Outworking of Love
"By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren."


He has been faithful to me when I have been unfaithful to Him. In all the times I have failed Him and let Him down He has remained faithful to me and He still loves me. 

2 Timothy 2:11-13

This is a faithful saying:

"For if we died with Him,
We shall also live with Him.
If we endure,
We shall also reign with Him.
If we deny Him,
He also will deny us.
If we are faithless,
He remains faithful;
He cannot deny Himself."


Comments

Anonymous said…
this is a question I ask my mother all the time. I see how how my grandmothers has suffered all their life's, abandonment, rape, abuse, having to care for children on their own , all the sacrifices they have made, yet they still stay faithful. NO matter what they still wake up every morning and pray for us, they still go to sleep praising the lord,. Its almost like their faith has grown, has strengthen with each blow that life has given them> and me like a flawed son of God, I ask and sometimes inadvertently question the need for their continued suffering. I wonder when their " day" will come, when the suffering will end even to this day, thnx to us they eat well, they live better, but yet they have both lost sons recently, they are both still being tested through the choices that their loved ones make. From the youngest great grandchild to the oldest child, they still have to suffer from the pain they share. I know I have to keep my faith I have to be strong because I am blessed, but I am brought to my knees with these conflicting ideas that fog my mind.......

Popular Posts