Lose Yourself

This week's blog topic is: "Lose Yourself", straight from the pages of my own life.   Lately I have been extremely focused on trying to "find myself".  I have searched high and low trying to find out more about who I am, including studying my personality type.  What I have discovered is I still have no clue who I am apart from God!  I am no more informed now than when I began.  It was useless, wasted time.  

We all go on a journey to "find ourselves" somewhere out there in the world.  I'm not sure if anyone ever does satisfactorily figure out who they are apart from God.  I never have.  But that I believe is also God's grace.  If I did, why would I seek him?  He made it impossible for me to feel whole and understood without him.  It's okay to not know who you are and what your identity is apart from God.  


"God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing."
C. S. Lewis



1 Corinthians 15:57

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

It is by God's GRACE ALONE that we even live.  God IS sovereign.  He is in charge.  We are dependent on him whether we know it or not, whether we want to admit it or not.  We are specks of dust without him.  We are of no importance in and of ourselves.  Yes, I really said it.  This goes against the whole "self confidence" movement of believing in yourself.  I'm here to challenge you NOT to believe in yourself, but to believe in God.  I am here to tell you NOT to be self confident, but to be confident "in Christ", in his power and ability, and to trust in HIM, not in our own abilities and capabilities.  I have few abilities without God in my life and those include being miserable, slowly destroying myself, and hurting other people.



Philippians 1:6

"being CONFIDENT of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;"



There are two paradoxes that seem to be so in contrast to our human nature.   First, when we let go of life as we planned it and embrace God's plan for our lives we will find what he has planned far better than anything we could have imagined.  The second is we must humble ourselves before God and let him lift us up.  We need to seek his approval only.  Do not seek to glorify yourself but only to bring him glory.  Someday we will be glorified with him forever in heaven, but first we must be humbled here on earth.  Let go of your understanding and open your mind to something greater, God's ways.  Paradoxically we begin to find ourselves and make great strides of progress as we head down the path of humility and losing ourselves.



Matthew 10:39

"He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it."



James 4:10

"Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up."


"Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility."
- Saint Augustine



The ONLY way to "find yourself", is by losing yourself and focusing on God more.  Let God be GOD.  We are not our own God and never will be!  If you have found God's mercy in your life, the appropriate response is to get on your knees and thank him every day, and NEVER take it for granted.  If you are not aware of God's grace or your need for it, please get serious at this very moment and realize how insignificant you are in comparison to the God who created you, every person and every galaxy.  Humble yourself at His feet.  



Psalm 111:10


The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;

A good understanding have all those who do His commandments.
His praise endures forever.


You can find your confidence in your faith in God and his promises.  You can stand on these three promises and proclaim them as your very own from God.  Write them on note-cards and review them often.  You can take these promises to the bank.  God always keeps his word.  It's impossible for him to lie!  It's completely against his nature.

Numbers 23:19  “God is not a man, that He should lie..."


1. God promises he will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER leave us.


Deuteronomy 31:6

"Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.”
2. God promises NOTHING can separate us from His LOVE.

Romans 8:38-39

" For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

3. God promises that His grace is sufficient.

2 Corinthians 12:9

"And He (God) said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” 

Instead of doing self affirmations (which don't really work), instead use God's Word as personal proclamations.  You can also write these on note-cards and proclaim out loud daily to really get them deep in your mind and spirit.

1.)

Philippians 4:13

"I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me."

2.)

Romans 8:37

"Yet in all these things I am more than a conqueror through Him who loves me."

3.)

Philippians 1:6

"I AM CONFIDENT of this very thing, that He who began a good work in me will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;"

Lose yourself today in God's great love and mercy!

Proverbs 3:26

 "For the Lord will be your confidence,
And will keep your foot from being caught."





Comments

Popular Posts